Ah, summer fun. Think lolling on the beach, soaking up summer rays, quaffing a piña colada or two to slake your thirst, then heading home for backyard barbequed chicken, ribs, and a refreshing gelato Such fun—and so skin deadly.
At the risk of raining on your beach blanket, overexposure to UV rays comes with a bag full of woes, ranging from increased risk of skin cancer and lesions, to age spots and inelasticity, to wrinkles and dark spots. But before hiding out in the shadows this summer, it is possible to have fun in the sun, as long as you use common sense and follow a few simple steps.
Most of us immediately jump to the sunscreen as the skin savior. Actually, sunscreen is essential, but applying it is only one step—and not the first—in an effective summertime beauty regimen. Here are five steps to keep you looking your best, whether on the beach or at that backyard barbeque.
1. Cleanse and Tone. Summertime is outdoor time. Your skin is “full frontal” to the outdoor elements, from the salt sea breeze, to urban air pollution, to hot weather leading to increasing perspiration, blocked sweat glands, and prickly heat and itchy bumps. Apply a product that washes away sunscreen residue, summer sweat, and makeup. It’s why we decided to introduce two exciting new brightening cleansing products from MEG 21!
MEG 21 Brightening Gel Cleanser does three things simultaneously: removes harmful, skin-aging toxic sugars from skin; brightens a dull complexion and evens skin tone; and purifies skin.
Two or three times each week, apply MEG 21 Brightening Exfoliating Scrub, to gently exfoliate and polish away dead skin cells.
Follow cleansing with our unique MEG 21 Moisturizing Toner+ to balance and soothe skin. It’s a great moisturizer and fights glycation, with our patented Supplamine®. (In the summer, toner is best applied throughout the day to refresh your skin.)
2. Prevent. Step up your use of antioxidants during summer months, both before you head outdoors and when you return. Applying ingredients such as grape seed and gooseberry extract are important in defending your skin against the adverse effects of pollutants, UV rays, and other environmental factors that can age skin, and fast. MEG 21 Ant-Oxidant Boost contains these, along with Vitamin E and patented Supplamine to heal skin and reduce inflammation.
3. Hydrate. Before using sunscreen, apply MEG 21 Face Treatment, which is formulated to provide long-lasting hydration for all-day moisture protection. It contains Supplamine, a technologically advanced ingredient complex, which helps the skin to retain water and gradually delivers moisture to the skin. The result: Supplamine immediately moisturizes, and, longer-term, it continues to hold water in the layers of your skin over time. In addition to Supplamine, MEG 21 Face Treatment is infused with natural lipids and emollients to help correct the disrupted lipid barrier that often results from dry and matured skin conditions. This gives skin a healthy moisture balance, even in the dead heat of summer. A powerful moisturizer such as MEG 21 Face Treatment goes a long way, which has the added bonus of saving you money!
4. Protect. Use the right sunscreen with the appropriate SPF for your skin type and the sun intensity to which you will be exposed. Both Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide are popular ingredients in sunscreen lotions that work to deflect the sunrays from penetrating the deeper layers of your skin and block UVA and UVB rays. Because they work by sitting on top of the skin, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide are much less irritating than the other options available in chemical sunscreens, which need to be absorbed to be effective. Sunglasses afford extra protection for your eyes, but they don’t age proof them! The skin around your eyes is super-sensitive and requires extra protection. Make sure to include MEG 21 Bright & Firm Eye Treatment, which is both dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested, in your skin regime!
5. Defend. You are what you eat. Just ask your skin. There is a proven connection between the food you consume and skin health and beauty. Let’s go back to barbeque chicken, ribs, and gelato. All fun food, but remember: Excess sugar accelerates skin aging, through the glycation process. When sugar molecules bond with collagen and elastin, they cause skin to become dry and brittle. Combine this with the inflammation and oxidative stress from the sun, and you’re about to add years to your skin. We recommend applying MEG 21 Advanced Formula, which contains patented Supplamine®, proven in scientific laboratories to stop toxic sugar build-up and the resulting glycation, inflammation, and oxidative stress. It also boosts collagen production, reverses the appearance of aging skin, and does away with age spots. Bon appetite–but “cheat” wisely when you eat. And when you do, it’s comforting to know that Supplamine is a great defender against the ravages of toxic sugar in skin.
This summer, have lots of fun in the sun—and remember, be kind to your skin!
Courtesy blog Written by Meg 21